Friday, June 22, 2012

Muse-ic - 28

Spent the day working om the grass and nettles.It's funny isn't it..all those discussions we can have a bout the 'meaning of Art'?!...I love it, because when you think you've arrived at a good compromise..there's yet another view you haven't thought of. Jeanette made a comment about just drawing/painting something that makes you happy. For me, i prefer the Surrealist manifesto which states in it's words that images "come to him spontaneously, despotically. He cannot chase them away; for the will is powerless now and no longer controls the faculties."* (Baudelaire.) whilst some of the subjects referred to in my work does not make me 'happy' as such...I certainly don't usually sit down to work out what I want to say ...a narrative develops and depending on the direction it takes, I add in emphasis and symbolism.I start from a point where I am drawing what I want..and not what someone else would like.

Of course by far the best way is to have a flash of inspiration where the fully formed concept comes to me like a vision. This has only happened a few times and has usually been as the result of a statement or comment by someone 'Ball of wool' is one such piece! (if you don't know what I'm referring to, look for it in the labels section!)

0 comments: