Tuesday, November 01, 2011

So it's November!

Having 'one of those days'...not able to motivate myself. Suffering mainly from a dose of 'reallity'. You may or may not know that I'm approaching my 50th birthday. I had originally arranged a party...I'd booked a band and Cancan dancers at a local pub. But decided to cancel when I realised that it was an rather selfish ego trip which would leave my family having to manage or very little money on the run up to Christmas. Besides, we always have a party in between Jan and my birthdays in November. So I then arrived at the idea of making it something special which would probably involve fancy dress. Then it was helpfully pointed out to me that I would after all be 50 years old and most of my friends were also of similar or older age, and would be unlikely to want to do fancy dress. So after a couple of friends also voiced their anxiety, I decided it will have to tone down even further , and will be a normal conformist party.

It's really not my intention to cause my friends anxiety on what should be a night of fun and happiness...So, I've decided that I will pull out all the stops for the next time I have a 50th birthday party...so be warned...I'll probably be the only one there!

PS...I took the photo above from my front room window this afternoon. the trees in the avenue are gorgeous at this time of year. 

3 comments:

Sue said...

hmph... I'm thinking you should get as fancy as you want at your party, and let everyone else come as they like. I highly recommend tux and top hat and cane and gloves. And I would look into getting maybe at least ONE cancan dancer to come by the house? And I'm saying all of this because I am thinking of my own 50th birthday ideas, and I hope to have a big night as well! No cancan dancers for me, but maybe a real band? I hope you have a blast and that it doesn't blow the budget!

Niall young said...

Thanks sue ( i'm glad you've survived the 'Shoctober snow falls in NJ!!) Yes, I might just do that. i like the idea of a Fred Astaire look...we'll see. ;)

Devil Mood said...

Oh, it's a little bit unfair isn't it? It's your birthday party and yet it can't be exactly as you wished. I'm sure it will be quite pleasant all the same but, oh, how we need to keep making concessions to others...Ah being an adult...