Thursday, February 04, 2010

Quintadagio - 57


Jeanette asked commenting on my post yesterday concerning weather I plan what I'm doing, or do I work it out as I go. Well, the honest answer is a mixture of the two. In the first instance, I wanted to return to the theme of 'The Cello Girl'. I'd just finished reading a book by Vikram Seth called 'An Equal Music' which dealt with a quintet of musicians. I wanted to feature my Starman character again so after some work in my sketchbook, I settled on the four cello girls and Starman arrangement you see here.
The lengthy process I go through in producing my work leaves plenty of time to contemplate developments to the composition. I had originally planned on a tree lined background, but by accident made the link between the quintet and the locomotive featured in the background which is called a 'Black 5'. I decided to base the background long after the figures had been in development....and as for the foxes and other animals, they were decided on only a few weeks ago.
As you can see, I have many recurring themes in my work, all are symbolic and have resonances or fetishistic significance....I find it incredibly satisfying to be able to call upon a wide range of components for my pictures almost like a casting director assembles the cast for a play by a repertory company.
As time goes by, different things assume varying degrees of significance to me, and so some items drop out of usage whilst others appear and reappear. So in once sense, each composition is meticulously planned and executed, but because of the timescale involved, a certain fluidity is achievable as change can be considered or developments made as I go. I hope this answers your question Jeanette?
If anyone else wants to know about any aspect of my work, please do not hesitate to ask !

0 comments: