Saturday, February 13, 2010

A sobering view

Yes...it's me! I love this photograph. there's a little story as to why I'm dressed in pink. Actually, I'm not dressed in pink...the photo is black and white, and as was the fashion of the time, the photographer would hand tint the images. My Mum and Dad were so proud of me being their first child, they had this photo taken...they had this one and a couple of smaller ones. however, when the pictures were returned to them, they discovered that the photographer had thought that I was a girl...hence the cute shade of pink I am seen wearing here.My parents had very little money and could not afford another one..so there I stayed...they didn't mind...and neither did I. In fact..history tells us that gender specific colours are mainly a product of the 20th century..originally pink was a boy's colour....for the full article go here

I chose to contemplate this image after a drunken session on Facebook last night.I was having a conversation with Denise, Cathryn,Janet and Richard. We were all classmates on our first day at infant school.....this would be way back in 1966 I think. and it was Richard who I actually sat next to on my first day at school.How lovely that we should all be in contact all this time later.

It's a sobering thing to look deep into the eyes of the six month old Niall..how far I've come..my dreams and desires...my failures and disappointments.Here I am, and I am the sum of everything that has happened to me...why don't you search out a photo of yourself as a baby...look into your own eyes and see what your heart whispers...what would you say...?

6 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

Yes--i rememberer this pic and this reason too behind the pink..It is a lovely picture.
I dont have the courage to look at my own baby photo! Strange but true!
It is very a deep exercise indeed.

Devil Mood said...

Wow, go figure the social meanings we give to colours - quite insane. You looked super cute regardless of the colour.

Ah, yes, I have experienced that same feeling of looking at pictures of baby-me and thinking: 'wow, you really didn't have a clue.' And then I'm envious of that clueless baby. ;)

Jonice said...

What a lovely pic, Niall!
Yeah! I like contemplating my baby pics too once in a while. Thousands of feelings... hundreds of thoughts... it's really nice to have them.

Tys on Ice said...

man u looked cute then as u do now...i shud really go with ur suggestion and do this one day...thing is when i look at any of my pics i dont recoginise myself...sometimes i spend a long time staring at the mirror and slowly the face in front of u becomes that of a stranger...like u somehow know that its not u...making any sense? i dont know...

Shruti said...

will u laugh if I say that u still look like the baby in the pic?

I do look at my kiddie pics once in a while.. in every pic it looks like I'm trying to scare away the photographer :P

Niall young said...

Thank you all for your comments..and yes Shruti, have you visited your optcian recently?..and I rarely wear a pink knitted dress these days!:-)