Sunday, September 12, 2010

Three Graces - 71. Wirksworth festival day 2.

What an amazing weekend I've just experienced!...financially disastrous as I only sold three prints, which seems odd seeing as I had 850 visitors to my show.However, nearly everyone commented on how they loved three Graces and similar works...many loved the Can can girl and many encouraged me to make sure I concentrate on my surreal/symbolist work.
One comment however totally took me by surprise and has changed my level of confidence in what i do. A lovely woman who was Iranian spoke to me after studying my pictures and said that she loved the way I depicted my women as I had depicted them in a  feminist way...she told me that I showed my women's sexuality in a way that women would identify with and like.I don't pretend to totally understand what she means, but perhaps someone might (if you agree) explain .but I have been amazed that the majority of those expressing admiration for my B/w works were female. I have always worried that my work would be seen as sexist or exploitative, and the real meaning be overlooked.
Finally here is a photo of me with Mary Gray whose home I exhibited in. I couldn't have asked for a more supportive and encouraging host...!

1 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I can see that the women are the strong actors in your work. I'm glad you found some encouragement in the exhibit, even if it wasn't the kind that you fold.