Thursday, April 23, 2009

Stenson Lock Keepers Cottage.

First of all, if you want to see how this sort of work should be done, you should head straight over to Paulo J Mendes at http://postalguarelas.blogspot.com/ where you'll see some fantastic little paintings. As for me, these are the first experiments really..I could go on about all the bad points and the bits I'm not happy with, but that would take all day.But the technique is something I think I could develop and refine.

For this painting, I drew the basic pencil work whilst sitting by the canal. then used a photo as reference when I got home to complete the detailing and colour work.In all it took around about one and a half hours...slightly quicker than Cello!

5 comments:

pink dogwood said...

just one and a half hours? You are so talented. This is so beautiful - I hope you do more stuff like this.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Niall, this is really a great work and doesn't look as a first experiment at all. I'm amazed with the beautifully detailed pencil drawing, and its progress until the final result. Love that tree and the always difficult water reflections.
I would like to encourage you, and looking forward to see more of these paintings, as it also seems that you're surrounded by very nice and scenic subjects. Hope you have the greatest pleasure with your watercolours.
Thank you for your mention and your link!
Speak to you soon,
Paulo

Anonymous said...

Oh you made me cry with your comment you left on one of my 'babies' about all my Scribbles.Bless. I am touched. Thanking you. My 'babies thank you too.

Anonymous said...

I love how you've shown the progression and growth of your 'baby'. She has developed into a beauty. Well done, you.

Preeti Shenoy said...

It is superb work--and can easily pass off as a final pic not a sketch! well done!