Thursday, February 21, 2008

Playing With Myself.

“The chessboard is the world, the pieces are the phenomena of theUniverse, the rules of the game are what we call the laws of Nature and the player on the other side is hidden from us”(Thomas Huxley)

“Without error there can be no brilliancy”(Emanuel Lasker)

“Life is a kind of Chess, with struggle, competition, good and ill events”(Benjamin Franklin)

“In life, as in Chess, one’s own Pawns block one’s way. A man’svery wealth, ease, leisure, children, books, which should helphim to win, more often checkmate him”(Charles Buxton)

I found hundreds of quotes concerning the game of chess.It may of course be considered clichet, but chess is often refered to as a metaphore for life.These selected quotes show it to be so...if you've ever sat down to a game you'll recognise the fact that it's not only the wisdom and brilliance of your opponent which should be taken into account, but the failings and self doubt which is probably of greater influence to the outcome.

One quote I particularly liked suggests that the opponent is hidden from us...I wondered if I removed the blind and revealed myself as my opponent...taking into account the "...wealth , ease, leisure,children, books....." that Buxton quotes, as a probable cause of checkmate...I aim to show that I am infact my own worst enemy when facing life .

weather you subscribe to the fatalist approach of Freud or the destiny of Jung...it's your move!

My next picture will reflect these sentiments....stay tuned!

5 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

I liked this one "
“In life, as in Chess, one’s own Pawns block one’s way"
Loved the photo too.

Devil Mood said...

So what do you think it means that I don't know how to play? hehe I know some rules but not all of them.

Niall young said...

PS...There are so many metaphores within the game of chess.....

DM...I think you'd be a good player..

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I can't play chess, either. I learned to play a little, but my husband plays very well. It makes me angry to lose when I'm trying as hard as I can, and he's barely paying attention.

Niall young said...

Julie...yes that must be frustrating. when you see a good player..they make it look so easy...every move they make seems so logical.