Saturday, September 12, 2009

Jigsaw - 82 Exhibition day one.

What can I say at the end of such an amazing day?..I am incredibly moved by the response of over 250 people who came along to visit me today, it might seem over dramatic and self indulgent for me to say that I found tears running down my cheeks during the 30 minute drive home. I know it sounds silly, but unlike other exhibitions I attend, wirksworth is special because the people who attend are genuine art lovers. certainly many of the people I spoke to today knew what they were talking about exhibiting a deep knowledge of art generally but also familiar with the Pointillist technique...then to be told so many complementary things about my work meant so much.

I usually have so many doubts and insecurities about my work, especially my darker surreal stuff..but it those very pictures which drew the most praise and admiration...I was totally gobsmacked to coin a phrase as I'd previously worried that i'd be ousted as a sexist pervert..but my genuine love and admiration of women was somehow detected...my love of mystical images, symbolic items, fetishes, religion , guilt and a willingness to honestly examine my own motives and follies and failings was acknowledged.

There were some genuinely warm hearted and lovely people there today..I'm sorry I don't have your names, but your encouragement is worth to me like gold!...

I sold a couple of prints during the day...drank three cups of tea, one coffee and ate a large piece of Walnut and Banana cake...I completed around 3 hours work on Jigsaw and felt happier and more loved than I have in ages...Thank you.

6 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

That sounds wonderful! I'm so pleased for you.

Tys on Ice said...

:)

Lois (three-legged-cat) said...

Actually, thank you! We really enjoyed seeing your pictures (so much better to view them full size on a wall than on a computer screen), listening to you chat about your work and watching the dotting in progress.

We saw lots of great things on the trail, but you were the only person we encountered who was working on something.

I'm surprised you even considered the possibily of being 'outed' - why would that happen? Your pictures are beautiful. Certainly somewhat surreal, but perverted? Not at all.

Sean said...

Saw your work at Wirksworth Festival yesterday - along with Michael Stewart's (does he have a blog?) it was clearly amongst the most accomplished. You've inspired me to leave my digital canvas for a while and remember my love of S.H.A.D.O !

t3kton.deviantart.com

Niall young said...

Julie...Thank you, you know also what it means to bring your work out into the open with trepidation only to have wondeerful comments!

Tys...:-)


Three Legged Cat...Thank you, it was suprising that the most favourable reactions and comments about my black and white pictures came from women..the most commented on picture 'Spirit Of Oskur' featured a portrait of one of my favourite online artists, Julie whose comment you can see on this section...!

Niall young said...

Sean...Good to have met you!...PS, I have the complete UFO DVD collection, LT.Ellis was always my favourite!