Thursday, March 01, 2007

Corn 2


I must say, I really get a big thrill out of adding to a picture like this..it's as if I've thrown a pebble into a pond and the ripples are spreading out .
Ran my last art session at school today. We managed to complete the tree boards we started all those weeks ago. I'll post some snaps for you to see another time. Right now I'm feeling a little sad. When I left, no one said thank you or goodbye. I felt a little miffed.Still I suppose it could be because I'm going back after Easter to do some 'PPA Time' which means I'll be teaching a whole class on two afternoon a week. This is to enable the permanent teacher to get prep work, paper work and study time out of class. I'll have my hands full I think. I shall imagine myself as the artistic version of Jack Black in 'School Of Rock'!!!........"Let's Paint!"...however doesn't have the same ring as "Let's Rock!"...

5 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

I guess kids on their own will not say 'thank you or goodbye' unless prompted,especially when it does not occur to them that this is the last session.The adults could have guided them--but I guess sometimes people just forget, without meaning to.
True.."let's Rock" sounds so much better than "let's paint!"

... said...

i hope you don't mind my asking, but is there anything particular you have against continuity? lines? curves, surfaces, volumes? why do you choose to represent everything with a set of discontinuous points? do you feel like a god when you do? when you create something as magnificent as this picture out of just dots?

Niall young said...

Preeti:I think I really wanted the staff to mark the occaision..the work and commitment of the children however more than made up for any lack of 'adult gratitiude'

Tyler: Hi..what an interesting turn of phrase you have there. Firstly I have nothing against continuity(though I guess this not what you meant!?)..I work 5-6 hours every day to achieve what you see here..As for the image..your eye does not see individual dots and therefore creatues the image for you..you brain assembles the pieces and decides that it recognises the arrangment as a person/building/tree and therefore recognises form,volume, line etc....
I chose to do what I do because:

1. I enjoy it..I enjoy causing your mind to see something that isn't real.
2.I can create any type of image I want
3. I can paint and draw but so can millions of other people and much better than I!

I thank you for your kind words and assure you that I have no aspirations towards deity!..(just ask my wife!)

... said...

You say 'aspirations towards deity' as if it were a bad thing... I would love to be God, or a God.

Anyway, I was just going through the different stages of this picture one by one, and I thought that the lighting changed gradually as it neared completion... that made me wonder if it would be possible to change what you are making as you go along... for example the first picture could look like a dog for instance, and then as you keep adding detail, it would begin to look like a face, and then perhaps a forest and so on... what you'd end up with would be a picture within a picture within a picture within a....

just a thought...

Niall young said...

If you were to become 'God' or 'A God' you would instantly find a large proportion of people cease to believe in you..whilst others will find an excuse to go out and murder innocents in your name..many more would proclaim that you are one thing, whilst others proclaim that you don't care and are in fact a whole host of entities....um...